Welcome to our comprehensive MoonPay Review for 2023! If you’re searching for a reliable and easy-to-use platform to buy and sell cryptocurrencies, then look no further.
In this article, we will delve deep into MoonPay’s features, fees, and the pros & cons of using this popular crypto service. Stay with us as we uncover everything you need to know about MoonPay and determine whether MoonPay is the right choice for your needs.
Don’t miss out on the insights and detailed analysis in this MoonPay Review, as we help you make an informed decision.
What is MoonPay?
Founded in 2019, MoonPay is a leading Web3 infrastructure company, helping businesses and individuals adopt and use Web3 technologies seamlessly. This Miami-based financial technology company offers a comprehensive solution for payments, digital asset management, and enterprise-grade smart contract development.
MoonPay’s biggest draw is its on and off-ramp integration feature that lets users buy and sell their crypto using fiat currencies. It also supports debit cards, credit cards, wire transfers, open banking, ACH (automated clearing house), Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.
With its presence in over 160 countries, MoonPay’s ease of use and accessibility have made this payment gateway for crypto extremely popular among investors and celebrities who were already fans of the company after using it to buy cryptos and NFTs.
It raised $86.7 million from celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Paris Hilton, Justin Bieber, Bruce Willis, and Matthew McConaughey. Additionally, it collectively received $555 million in its initial financing round, bringing its market valuation to $3.4 billion.
Now that you’re familiar with MoonPay, how about you check out its list of pros and cons?
MoonPay: Pros and cons
To truly understand a business, you must peel back its layers and find out what lies at its core.
So let’s dive deep into the world of MoonPay to find its secrets and truly understand why this ambitious venture is making waves in the crypto space. We’ll also discuss its major weaknesses.
MoonPay works because it offers its users the following:
MoonPay makes it extremely simple for people without prior knowledge of Web3, cryptocurrencies, and NFTs (non-fungible tokens) to buy and sell them.
- International Presence & Availability:
MoonPay is available in 160+ countries with 250+ partner integrations. This includes wallets, such as Bitcoin.com, Trust Wallet, MetaMask, and Ledger; exchanges, such as Uniswap, BitMart, and BingX; brands, such as NEAR Foundation; and marketplaces, such as sorare, OpenSea, ImmutableX, GameStop, and Nifty’s.
- Quick Verification & Account Set-up:
MoonPay’s KYC (know your customer) verification for new users takes seconds. All you need to do is add your phone number, name, address, and upload clear images of your government ID cards, such as your driver’s license or passport. After verifying your details, setting up your account and buying cryptos is quite simple.
- Wide Range of Cryptocurrencies:
Users can choose from over 80 cryptocurrencies on MoonPay.
- Heightened Security:
All MoonPay backups are encrypted using 256-bit keys with AES.
- Secure Payment Information Storage:
MoonPay uses Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) to process and store all payment-related information.
MoonPay collects and stores all consumer-related information according to the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) norms.
- Customer Support:
MoonPay offers self-service options to answer all consumer-related queries. Additionally, it boasts 24*7 live chat support and has a robust support email practice.
- Environment Friendly:
MoonPay uses renewable energy sources to power its operations, and since it’s a remote company, it’s 100% paperless. It has also pledged to become carbon neutral by 2030.
Even though MoonPay is single-handedly disrupting the way crypto and NFT transactions are carried out, it’s not without its drawbacks:
- High Transaction Fees:
MoonPay’s transaction charges are higher than other platforms in the same space. You’ll have to bear processing fees ranging between 1% to 4.5%.
- No Crypto Wallet:
You need to use your own wallet since MoonPay doesn’t have one.
MoonPay is steadily gaining recognition in the competitive cryptocurrency landscape by offering a suite of innovative and user-friendly features. These distinctive characteristics are designed to cater to a broad range of users, from seasoned investors to newcomers in the crypto world. The key features of MoonPay include:
- Company Type: financial technology specialising in building a secure payment infrastructure for cryptos.
- Number of Supported Assets: MoonPay supports 80+ virtual assets, including a wide range of cryptocurrencies and tokens for metaverse games, such as Decentraland and The Sandbox.
- Insurance: MoonPay doesn’t offer any time of insurance, but it’s not paramount since you won’t be holding funds on MoonPay.
- Transaction Fees: range between 1% to 4.5%, depending on the payment type.
- Maintenance Fees: there’s zero maintenance fee charged on MoonPay.
- Instant KYC: MoonPay’s robust KYC process makes it possible for individuals to complete the process and get started with buying cryptos within seconds.
- Security: MoonPay employs two-factor authentication and uses AES with 256-bit keys.
- Acceptable Payment Modes: MoonPay accepts several payment methods, including debit and credit cards, bank transfers, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.
- Mobile App: MoonPay doesn’t have a mobile app yet and is predominantly available as a desktop version.
- Customer support: MoonPay has a live customer support feature and a dedicated email: email@example.com to assist its customers. It also has a library of FAQs to resolve customers’ and MoonPay partners’ queries.
Since there are no maintenance fees on MoonPay, transaction charges depend on the type of payment method you’d like to use.
Processing charges for buying cryptocurrencies on MoonPay are:
- Bank Transfers: processing charges for bank transfers are 1%, with a minimum of €3.99/£3.99/$3.99 or currency equivalent.
- Card Payments: processing charges for card payments are 4.5%, with a minimum of €3.99/£3.99/$3.99 or currency equivalent.
- PIX: if you use this bank transfer method, established and managed by Brazil’s Central Bank, MoonPay’s processing charges will be 2.95%.
Processing charges for selling cryptocurrencies on MoonPay are:
- Bank transfers: EU/UK/US bank transfer processing charges are 1%, with a minimum of €3.99/£3.99/$3.99 or currency equivalent.
Fees for Buying Crypto on MoonPay
|Processing Fee||Network Fee|
|Card Payments||4.5% min €3.99/£3.99/$3.99 or Currency Equivalent||Dynamic*|
|Bank Transfers||1% min €3.99/£3.99 or Currency Equivalent||Dynamic*|
|P2P Bank Transfers|
(NGN – Naira Transfers)
|PIX – Temporarily Unavailable||2.95%||Dynamic*|
It’s important to note when you purchase or sell BTC, ETH, or ERC20 tokens on MoonPay, a dynamic network fee is charged. This fee depends on the current conditions of the blockchain network, and you will be able to see it before making your payment through the widget.
Fees for Selling Crypto on MoonPay
|EU/UK/US Bank Transfer||1% min €3.99/£3.99/$3.99 or Currency Equivalent|
MoonPay Supported Cryptos
MoonPay supports over 80 cryptocurrencies for US and non-US residents, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Cardano, Solana, and more.
You can find the full list of MoonPay’s supported cryptos here.
MoonPay Customer Support
MoonPay has an extensive library of FAQs and articles to provide self-service customer support to individual customers and MoonPay partners. It also has a live customer chat option and has set up an email: firstname.lastname@example.org, to answer customers’ queries.
MoonPay has always been a big advocate of security and privacy. To that end, all data sent to or from MoonPay’s infrastructure gets Transport Layer Security (TLS) version 1.2 or later encryption. Consumer data is protected against unwarranted attacks following HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) policy.
Backups of data are encrypted using AES with 256-bit keys and are stored in PCI DSS and ISO27001-compliant data centres. It also invests in robust security monitoring and protection solutions to monitor organization security, recognize any attacks, and take corrective measures instantly.
How to Buy Crypto with MoonPay?
Buying cryptocurrencies on MoonPay is extremely simple and user-friendly. MoonPay allows individuals to purchase cryptocurrencies using fiat. In this guide, we will walk you through a step-by-step process on how to buy crypto with MoonPay, ensuring a smooth and secure experience.
- Visit MoonPay’s Buy Page: Navigate to the official MoonPay buy page.
- Select your Cryptocurrency: Choose the desired cryptocurrency from the drop-down menu. In this example, we will buy SAND.
- Enter Purchase Amount: Input the amount of crypto you want to buy in your fiat currency.
- Provide Wallet Address: Add your compatible crypto wallet address for The Sandbox. Make sure your wallet supports the chosen cryptocurrency.
- Agree to the Exchange: If you’re satisfied with the transaction details, agree to the exchange and proceed to click the “Buy Now” button.
- Choose Payment Method: Select your preferred payment option to complete the purchase.
- Order Confirmation: Once your payment is successful, MoonPay will send you an email confirming your order, which includes a tracker link to monitor the status of your crypto transaction in real-time.
Optional: You can also use MoonPay’s partner wallet applications, such as Ledger Live to buy cryptocurrencies if you prefer a more integrated experience.
MoonPay is an innovative solution that has struck a chord with over 5 million customers globally. Its convenience, security, accessibility, and continuous support have made it a hit among crypto enthusiasts.
Dedicated to providing a seamless and time-effective crypto trading experience, MoonPay is making strides in the Web3 industry. Better yet, MoonPay is helping other businesses embrace and use Web3 to build their brands securely.
Where is MoonPay located?
MoonPay is headquartered in Miami, Florida, with its primary location at 801 Brickell Ave Suite 800, Miami, Florida, 33131, United States. The company also has offices in Dublin, Ireland, and Singapore. As a global company, MoonPay operates in more than 160 countries and is trusted by over 300 leading wallets, websites, and applications.
Does MoonPay accept bank transfers?
Yes, MoonPay accepts bank transfers along with a suite of other payment solutions, including debit cards, credit cards, Google Pay, Apple Pay, and Samsung Pay.
Is MoonPay Safe?
MoonPay is considered a safe crypto payment solution. MoonPay uses AES-256 block-level storage encryption to provide a safe crypto trading experience.. Additionally, MoonPay has a bug bounty program that rewards people for discovering weaknesses in their security, which helps the company make improvements and maintain a secure platform.
What is MoonPay used for?
MoonPay is a financial technology company that builds payment infrastructure for crypto transactions. It offers an on-and-off-ramp suite of products that provide a seamless experience for converting between fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies using various payment methods, including debit and credit cards, local bank transfers, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.
MoonPay aims to make it easy for people to invest in crypto regardless of their location and the currency they use. Additionally, it helps businesses enable cryptocurrency payments on their websites, making it a crypto-focused alternative to payment processors like PayPal.
Can I use a bank account on MoonPay?
Yes, you can use a bank account on MoonPay for transactions. MoonPay currently supports Euro bank accounts that can receive SEPA payments, UK bank accounts that can receive FPS payments, and US bank accounts that can receive ACH payments.
Additionally, customers who are not US residents can use SEPA for EUR-denominated transactions in SEPA countries and UK Faster Payments for GBP-denominated transactions in the UK.
Where is MoonPay available?
MoonPay is available in 160+ countries globally and is trusted by over 300 wallets.