Interested in delving into the new Coinbase Base Layer 2? Our guide on “How to Connect Coinbase Base to MetaMask,” is designed to help you effortlessly link the two platforms. While the Coinbase Base Layer 2 mainnet is not yet live, a Goerli Testnet is available, enabling you to connect your MetaMask Wallet by adding the appropriate Chain ID and RPC endpoints to your list of networks.
By connecting your MetaMask Wallet to the Coinbase Base Goerli Testnet, you’ll gain access and can start experimenting with decentralized applications.
How to Connect Coinbase Base to MetaMask
Are you looking to add the Coinbase Base Goerli Testnet network to your MetaMask Wallet? Since the Coinbase Base mainnet isn’t available yet, the Goerli Testnet allows developers and users to familiarize themselves with the network.
How to Get Coinbase Goerli Testnet Tokens
If you’ve already added the Coinbase Base Goerli Testnet network to your MetaMask Wallet, the next step is to obtain some test tokens. These tokens are crucial for familiarizing yourself with the network before using real funds. Here’s a beginner-friendly guide on how to get Coinbase Goerli Testnet tokens:
- Open your internet browser and go to the Base Goerli Faucet website. This platform will allow you to receive free test tokens for the Coinbase Base Goerli Testnet network.
- Once you’re on the Base Goerli Faucet homepage, you’ll need to connect your MetaMask Wallet. Look for the “Connect Wallet” button and click on it.
- A MetaMask window will pop up, asking you to authorize the connection. Click “Connect” to grant permission.
- After connecting your wallet, you’ll need to provide your MetaMask wallet address. To find your address, open your MetaMask extension, select the Coinbase Base Goerli Testnet network, and copy the wallet address displayed.
- Paste your wallet address into the appropriate field on the Base Goerli Faucet website.
- Next, click the “Request Testnet Funds” button. The faucet will process your request, and you’ll soon receive some BASE test tokens in your MetaMask wallet.
Now you have your test tokens! You can use these tokens to interact with the Coinbase Base Goerli Testnet network and gain a better understanding of its functionalities before engaging with real money.
What is Coinbase Base?
Coinbase Base is a layer-two chain developed by Coinbase, designed to make it easy for developers to build decentralized applications with seamless integration to Coinbase’s products and user base. Base is built on Optimism, a layer-two scaling solution for Ethereum, which is the second-largest L2 ecosystem behind Arbitrum.
Having launched its testnet version on February 24, 2023, Coinbase Base allows developers to experiment with their Dapps, ensuring they function smoothly before being released to the public. As part of its long-term plan, Coinbase will gradually decentralize the network while leveraging its extensive experience in the cryptocurrency industry.
It’s essential not to confuse Coinbase Base with Coinbase, the secure online platform for buying, selling, transferring, and storing cryptocurrency. Coinbase’s mission is to create an open financial system for the world and be the leading global brand for helping people convert crypto into and out of their local currency.